As you know a first impression is very important. We’ve all had a bad one, yes, even me some time ago. A first impression takes less than a tenth of a second to assess two things – are you someone that is approachable and are you someone that is attractive…..So basically, we decide if you are hot and/or safe in a nanosecond.
In the rest of the first second, we decided what social parameter you fit into:
- Are you a people person or a homebody?
- Do you have kids?
- Are you a cat person or a dog person?
All these aspects are taken into consideration and possibly decided before anyone has uttered a word to each other.
The trick with a first impression is takes a full 10 hours of one-on-one interaction with someone to erase a bad impression. I don’t know about you but I know I don’t have that kind of time to make up for a bad impression.
Here are my top 4 tips on nailing that first impression:
- Eye Contact – You are your number one business tool! Using your eye contact to let your target audience know that you will put in the personal effort to take the time to connect with them gives them the personal feeling that you care. If you want to connect more people to your message and your business, you need to make sure they feel like they can easily connect with you first! Having that consistent eye opening to allow for that consistent eye connection gives the person the opportunity to feel like they are getting to know you (and your business) on a deeper level. Once they have made that heart connection to your business, they will happily come back and even become a great referral for you!
- Posture – Good posture shows your confidence! There is a very fascinating phenomenon that happens when humans visually see another person. Because the body and brain are hardwired together, what we see from another person visually is how we interpret them mentally. How we see you carry yourself physically is how we are going to assume you are going to handle yourself mentally. For example, if you stand at your full height, we subconsciously perceive you as someone that has a good understanding of your physicality. Therefore, we interpret you as someone who must mentally have it all together too.
- Breathe – We are built to breathe! We started from birth breathing correctly. It is stress from our busy lifestyles that creates tension and gets in the way of good breathing, which adversely affects how our bodies work, including our minds. One of the key aspects of feeling good and being on your “A game” when you speak in front of others, is to breathe effectively.
- Fluidity – Show competence with fluidity! This is key in showing your competence in your body language. Showing FLUIDITY in your motions automatically makes you appear as if you are high end, more elite, and a leader in your industry.
Nonverbal communication drives who we decide to do business with, posture communicates your confidence and knowledge, and unspoken social cues will naturally attract people to you and your business. If you want to learn more about how to create impact and influence without saying a word, I invite you to check out my self directed online course where you can learn all of this and so much more!